Tuesday, June 4, 2013


Book writing and self publishing.

I just read a book on “How I sold a million eBooks in 5 months” by John Locke. Well, I didn’t read the book, I read the reviews. I had a suspicion it was a ploy to sell more books and I was correct. He pays readers to post reviews, therefore elevating his status. I’ve read a few of his books, not very great writing. Which leads to my thoughts. Why are there so many crappy books written out there that sell well, while other fabulous books hardly get noticed? Is it blogs? Pay for advertising? Who knows. Many writers try to pump out as many books as possible, just so they will have a large selection as gather more publicity. Literary agents are hard to impress, just read the rejection letters of many famous authors. Look at Amanda Hocking and a few others that have poor phrasing and descriptive writing in their books, yet they are now considered top authors. 50 Shades of Gray, another poorly written book, but yet mentions sex constantly and created a controversy achieving the goal, to make a whole lot of money.
I have one written so far and ten in the works. I prefer to research and fine tune, rewrite and check, rewrite again until I have it almost perfected, but yet still, once you’ve slaved over a book for weeks if not months checking, you become immune to the editing process. What sells a lot of books? The mystery still lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment